Sunday, December 21, 2008

Missing Exams

I had never thought that I would miss my exam days so much after I finish my studies. When my younger sis said that she was having her exams that’s when all the melancholy memories of my exam days comes back to me. The study leaves before the exams when I used to sit and stare into the notes and dream on. Then the guilt feeling at the end of the day that I have wasted one whole study holiday doing nothing but dreaming off and with the definite resolution in my mind that the next day would be different with me definitely studying the whole day. Study holidays also was the time when I used to have three square meals a day, cleaned up my room, had long luxurious baths, went off for long evening walks.

But then it all remains the same till the day before the exam when all of sudden the mind gets sharper and all things read gets into the mind. It is like the brain has taken a definite turn in one day and amount of thing you can remember and understand becomes tremendous. The day before the exam I will be seen eating, sleeping and drinking the notes for the exam, it is really a sight to see the girls would all have their notes with them when they come down to the mess to have dinner or breakfast and they would be seen studying from the notes and simultaneously eating their food. We do multitasking from quiet a young age I should say. The wardens are happy on the day of exams as the mess hall has pin drop silence during these day as compared to other days when we make such a racket that it can be heard on the fourth floor in our rooms when the mess hall is located in the basement.

Another thing that I miss of the exam days is the precious five extra minutes of sleep when I hit the snooze button on the phone. During exams it used to be just 2 or 3 hours of sleep. There are days when we feel that you have got it all in hand and can afford another half an hour more of sleep Oh!! That half an hour of sleep and the quality of sleep is something I haven’t enjoyed yet after having completed my studies

Then there are the guys whom we have to wake up at odd times like 11 in the night, 12 in the night because they feel like sleeping for an hour or two while studying and the next day before entering the exam hall there is this plea “Hey please tell me what is the most important portion for today’s exam as I have not learned a word as I slept of too soon”

Then there is the last day of the exams when you have plans to just sleep so as to compensate for the past 10 to 15 days that you haven’t slept but somehow sleep evades you. You feel so wide awake and so excited about the fact that exams are over that no matter how hard you try, sleep never comes. The end of the exam makes up for all the silence that was enjoyed by the warden as it is not only in the mess but the whole hostel would be in an uproar and when the silence bell rings the level of din doesn’t decrease by any level and hence there would be an additional 2 or 3 bells rung so as to bring to the note of the hostel inmates. This is the day when the warden just gives up on going on rounds to pick on people from room as she would definitely end with the hostel as none would be in their room but be seen lurking the corridor and the veranda’s

These memories want me to go back to the student days but the memory of getting back the papers I could relive by excluding that part. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blank canvas awaiting to be filled.............the random thoughts which seldom stop.....a spark